Re: SMP Kernel on non-SMP Machine

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 05:01:58AM -0700, W Strater wrote:
[please trim quoted text when replying]
> I am not too sure if I will see any difference with hyperthreading
> enabled/disabled since I am setting this up to do Java development while
> working at home. I think the only bottlenecks I will see is from the VPN
> connection as the traffic is routed around the state and back.

Java is highly multithreaded and often benefits from hyperthreading. But
yeah, if you're network-bound, won't matter.

> I thought there was one source code too but removing kernel-devel and
> installing kernel-smp-devel allowed me to compile and install the module.

Ah. That's not the source code. There's only one source code, but there's
different -devel packages, which contain headers prepared for the particular
built kernel.

> I am using the Cisco VPN Client. I would like to get this working first
> before trying other alernatives so I know I can connect if I need to. One
> of the issues I have with the Cisco client is that it takes control of my
> network connection and ALL traffic must go through the VPN even if I want
> to access the Internet. This also blocks any local traffic.

Right, that is one of several problems with the Cisco binary client. I
highly encourage you to try vpnc instead -- it is included with Fedora (part
of Fedora Extras -- just 'yum install vpnc' and perhaps 'yum install
NetworkManager-vpnc'). You'll not need to compile anything, nor taint your
kernel, and it works very well.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>