Re: FC4 - a couple of slowness issues.

On 2006-08-17 08:04:33, Stephen Smalley <sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 21:10 -0400, William W. Austin wrote:
I have a machine which was running FC4, and I installed FC5 on it.

Same disks (3 sata, 320GB/sata3 on promise card, and 2 240GB/sata1 on
onboard sata (sata_sil driver; 1 160GB eide drive on on-board mb
controller). Same other H/W, same computer. Nothing changes. (athlon
2500xp+, 2gb ram, scsi tape and scanner - no scsi drives on this
box).

If I boot back to FC4, the problems go away - if I boot FC5, they
occur.
(SNIP)
Problem 1: firefox CRAWLS.
(SNIP)
If I boot back to FC4 and
run
1.0.8.1-1.fc4 it runs essentially the same speed as the other
browsers.
(SNIP)

Problem 2:  I cannot burn a dvd (typical command cdrecord
--dev=/dev/hdc -v -dao -data XYZ.iso) without getting MANY underruns -
about 13 on a DVD with 3GB of data on it.  Boot back to FC4 and the
problem goes away.

The ONLY major difference is that I went ahead and enabled selinux on
the machine when installing FC5, whereas in FC4 I did not (I also
have
a dedicated firwall box which theoretically eliminates the need for
selunx, but I wanted to try it).

So my question is, are these problems (a) known, or (b) peculiar to
selinux, and/or (c) does anybody have a suggestion for a solution?

- Is your FC5 fully updated?

Yes.  All updates as of yesterday have been applied.

- Are you getting any avc messages in your /var/log/messages file
or /var/log/audit/audit.log file (the former if not running auditd, the
latter if running it)?

I am running auditd, and there are (at the moment) about 700 such messages there. But I am (have been) unsure what to do about them.
Here is a frequency count on the denied avc's
epiphany	1
firefox-bin	1
fuser		5
galeon		1
ifconfig	90
ld-linux.so.2	6
prelink		1
procmail	156
smbd		421

(Obviously this machine is also the samba server for a local network.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated - I am at the point of removing or disabling selinux from the system, but I had wanted to get more understanding of it as I would like to use it on 2 other machines in the office which do *not* have an industrial-strength in front of them.

Thanks -

Thanks -
--
william w. austin                               waustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."