Re: Running kernel-smp and trying to remove kernel

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:19:46 +1000, Brian Chadwick wrote:

> Paul Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Try it -- what could possibly go wrong? :)
>>>
>>> I'm serious -- yum will prompt you first since it's a package
>>> removal, and
>>> you'll get to review what it's going to do. (And I'll dispell any
>>> suspense
>>> -- yes, it'll work.)
>>
>> Oh, Matthew, I am an ignorant, that is true, but not that much! :-)
>>
>> I know that 'yum remove kernel' will remove kernels, but I was not
>> sure whether that procedure entails a complete removal, as I took,
>> some time ago, the following note from this list:
>>
>> package-cleanup --oldkernels
>>
>> Paul
>>
> if you must remove the uniprocessor kernel ... then do
>
> "rpm -qa | grep kermel"
>
> this will list all kernel packages installed ...
>
> then      rpm -e lernel-xx.rpm .... where the one you want to remove is
> listed exactly
>
> personally i wouldnt bother ... systems have so much disk space these
> days that 30 megs means nothing ....

Except if you've kept your 1G / partition from the times of yore,
when 1G meant something. It fills up pretty quickly with
/lib/modules from old kernels and with all the updates, which go
in /var/cache. If yum ever fails on you for lack of space,
you'll know why.