Re: video problem on usb-storage

Tod Merley wrote:
On 8/16/06, LarryT <guess.who@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,
I have succesfully installed fc5 on usb mass storage, and it boots
friendly :)
But each time i try to boot from a different pc, x failed, and i must
reconfigure xorg.conf with the good video card.

I would like to know if there is a way to enable a kind of auto
detection (like on livecd ?) to workaround this problem ? I dont mind to
have a very good video card : i use this box to make test with softs...

thank you for any answer :)

(is it the good mailing list ?)
--
Larry
"Computers are like air conditioners - They stop working properly when

Hi Larry!

I am no expert but no one has stepped up for eight hours so I hope I
can get things started.

FC5 has several init scripts in the /etc/init.d folder (if memory
serves - will be init.d). One of them starts X and any X using run
level will use it.  The modification of that script is for
intermediate scripters or better.  It follows certian rules init must
be happy with and the procedures to change it are involved.

My first thought - it would be a bit of a long haul.

My second is to Google heavy "automatic X - or autoconfig X - etc.."
and also find and search or even join a few X related mail lists -
developement if you can find it.

X needs more automation as your issue points to I think.  Send a bug,
suggest a feature.  We do need what you want I do believe!

Good Hunting!

Tod

You didn't mention which driver you have configured. Maybe things will work if you change xorg.conf to use the "vesa" driver. I think it works with most video chips.

Regards,

John