Re: Need to install drivers of motherboard CD?

On 8/16/06, Tod Merley <todbot88@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I have just upgraded the processor of my computer to a P4 Dual Core.
> > > The new motherboard comes with a CD with some drivers. Should I
> > > install those drivers? Apparently, the CD expects to be read on MS
> > > Windows. And furthermore, my upgraded computer works perfectly with
> > > FC5, but I am not sure whether its performance can still be improved
> > > with those drivers.
> > >
> > Well, it sounds like they are Windows drivers, so they are not going
> > to work under Linux.
>
> Thanks, Mikkel and Rob. I am now relieved, as the vendor of it (who
> does not work with Linux) keeps telling me that the performance can be
> improved with the installation of those drivers.

I am curious here.  Are these "drivers" inserted at the BIOS level?
If so, they may be worth pursuing.

Just a thought.

If they would work under DR. DOS or similar UBCD might be useful (scary though).

If not, frankly one of my LTGs is to run XP in a virtual window through linux.

Your point makes some sense, Tod, but how can I know whether those
drivers are thought to be inserted into the BIOS. That is true that
*only* one of my three IDE hard disks are detected at boot time, but I
still can access to them from FC5. May that be related?

Paul