Re: More on duplicate messages,

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 08:57 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I commented on duplicate messages, and was told that it was somehow my
> problem but in looking at it further I find the following contrary
> information:
> 1. It only happens on the fedora-list not on any other type of mail or
> other redhat list mail.

I wonder if your ISP is playing with grey listing, as well as the list,
and hasn't got it right yet?  Though, bear in mind it could be that
you're seeing some people send the same message twice.

> 2. It does not happen on all messages but only messages coming from
> certain posters (e.g, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>) I know I
> picked on Tim before and I am sorry.

In the prior message, you did have your own address in the reply-to
headers as well as the list, so you'd have got two replies to that one,
for sure.  This message, that I'm replying to, only had the list's, so
you should just get one from me.

> 3. The mail does not really appear at the same time. If you look at the
> headers everything works in sync (that is it seems to be the same
> message arriving at servers at the same time) until it arrives at:
> hormel.redhat.com. The next jump from there to ylpvm04.prodigy.net
> occurs at different times. That is, it seems that at that point the
> message duplicates itself and the two or even three messages continue
> their travels at different times.

There could be a breakdown between the list and then onwards, where it
thinks a message hasn't gone through, so it resends it.  You'll have to
be specific if you want someone else to check the same messages.

i.e. list some message IDs.

I read messages from the public lists.