Automatic blocking

I looked around on the web and found a few different programs to do this, so I thought I'd ask here for advice: what are people using to automatically block incoming attacks via ssh and ftp? I'm referring to those script kiddies who simply hit your system over and over and over again in a very short period of time, probing both the ssh as well as the ftp daemons trying to log in.

And related to the question, what's the best practice here, adding them to /etc/hosts.deny or dropping the traffic with iptables?