Re: I hosed FC5 need help with file names and locations to verify all current files are backed up.

---- Todd Zullinger <tmz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Firefox bookmarks are kept in
> ~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile>/bookmarks.html, where profile is a random
> string, something like this: nt4m68tk.default.  I'm not a KDE user,
> but I believe the address book is stored in
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf.

Thanks for refreshing my memroy on the std.vcf file and the location and verifying that I had the correct bookmarks.html file.

> I would backup all of ~/.kde and ~/.mozilla at least, and all of ~/
> unless it was simply too large to fit onto you backup drive.
>
> > I can't get my KMail files (the e-mail that I saved in folders) to
> > move by scp the file names have a lot of puncuation marks in them
> > and the SSH does not like it.  Will these files still work in Kmail
> > if I can zip them, move them, and unzip again?
>
> They should.  I'd use tar instead of zip.  Zip won't include any file
> permissions or ownership info.
>
> > Or, does some one know a clean simple way to get these files copied
> > over to my other box with the SSH/SCP command in the shell?
>
> Use -r to scp to recursively copy the directories.
>
>     $ scp -r ~/.kde/share/apps/mail backuphost:/path/to/save/files

scp -r was all I needed I tried to use the -r when i was just learning the basics of Linux and could not figure out how to get it to work so i forgot about it.  Thanks for sharing!

transfering very now.