Re: how to connect two linux pcs (FC5) using a crossover cable

On 8/15/06, Yuandan Zhang <yuandan.zhang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
how to connect two linux pcs (FC5) using a crossover cable, without a hub or
switch?

thanks

As Ed mentioned, it's quite easy to connect them.  But what are you
looking to do?  For example if you were running a web server on one of
them, the other could access it by punching in the IP you assigned to
your web server.  If you are looking to transfer files back and forth,
you could use nc (netcat), scp if you set up sshd, nfs if you want to
mount a drive from the second machine, and the list goes on.

But as Ed mentioned the quick and easy answer is to use a crossover
cable and then assign a static IP and subnet mask (using ifconfig or
using the GUI) to each machine ensuring the two machines are on the
same subnet.  To keep that part simple, use 192.168.x.x IP range with
subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.

Your question is very short and sweet so it's difficult to determine
your level of knowledge on this subject, hence difficult to determine
how specific we need to be with our answers.

Jacques B.