Re: Calling grub from install CD?

Mark wrote:
Is there a way to somehow get into grub right from the install CD?
Yes, but what are you hoping to do?

I messed up the boot record or something and was hoping to boot into my system in order to run grub-install.
I tried to run it from the rescue disc, but got an error saying it could not find /usr/sbin/grub - for whatever weird reason (the
file is there).
So I thought I could get into my regular system that way and then run grub-install.

Can I enter a specific command at the initial install CD
prompt - the
one where I usually enter "linux askmethod" or "linux rescue"?
You can go into the rescue mode and, then, play with GRUB to install to
a hard drive (e.g. to get a system to boot that's not working right).

But if you're hoping to just get into GRUB to boot something, and not
reconfigure a GRUB installation, I don't know how you'd go about doing
that with the CD. I've done that with floppies, years ago, after a hard
drive shuffle upset a multi-boot system.

Initially, I told the installer to install the boot loader in the first partition rather than the MBR.
After the installation, booting failed and it dropped me off at the grub prompt.
I manuall initiated the boot process from there and got into the system to run grub-install. After that everything was fine.

Now I have to do something similar, but I can not get into the initial grub prompt. So I'm trying to get in there again...

Thanks,

MARK

I've had to do this many times. Here is how I do it:
Boot a live cd (knoppix, etc.)
open a terminal and mount your root partition (eg. /dev/hda1 at /media/hda1)
mount your boot partition, /var, /usr, and anything else important (if not on root)
cd to your root and follow exactly:
mount -t proc proc $PWD/proc
mount -t sysfs sysfs $PWD/sys
mount -t tmpfs tmpfs $PWD/dev
mkdir dev/pts
mount -t devpts devpts $PWD/dev/pts
chroot $PWD /bin/bash
/sbin/udevstart

Now you can run grub-install like you are on your normal system. Remember to unmount all of the partitions before you shut down, or you will be griped at by knoppix (or whatever you prefer).
Hope this was any help!
-Steven