Re: New processor requires the full re-installation of Fedora?

tomhorsley@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I am going to replace the processor and the motherboard of my
computer, but I will keep all hard-drives where FC5 is installed. The
new processor is an Intel P4 Dual Core and a new kernel (the smp one)
has to be installed. My question is: have I to install the entire FC5
or it suffices to install only the smp kernel?

It may work, or it may not - it depends :-).

If the new motherboard requires any new kernel modules you may not be able
to boot the old kernel because the required modules are missing from the
initrd image of the old boot partition. You can probably update the initrd
image somehow from a rescue mode boot, but I'm not expert on just how
to do that.

you will have no problem at all ... just install the new kernel