Re: lpr changed in FC5?

On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 14:33 -0700, Julius Smith wrote:
> On 8/13/06, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I am going to get a bad reputation for keep saying this, but if you are
> > going to deal with cups printers use cups commands. The way you change
> > the options of a printer in a CUPS environment is more properly by using
> > the lpoptions command.
>
> I checked with "lpoptions -l", and the default paper size is Letter.
> That seems to imply that printconf-gui propagated the setting ok.
> Could the GUI be using lpoptions behind the scenes?

That is a good question to which I don't know the answer.

But I need to admit something. My opposition to using printconf is from
using it on FC3 and FC4. It is possible that the creators of printconf
are aware of its previous deficiencies and have corrected them I admit I
don't try to repeat previous mistakes with each new version to see if
the problems remain. But the sensible thing is that if you are using
CUPS to do printing one should use the CUPS interface and CUPS commands
to manage the printers. YMMV.
The advertisement is the most truthful part of a newspaper. -- Thomas
Jefferson