Re: extremely slow "ls" on a cleared fatty ext3 directory on FC4/5

On 2006-08-13, Theodore Tso <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not without rebooting, but probably it will required scheduled
> downtime where you kick all of the users off, and then recreate the
> tmp directory --- either using rsync, or just doing a plain old "rm
> -rf /tmp; mkdir /tmp".

Shouldn't require downtime if you do a quick:

	mv /tmp /tmp-old ; mkdir --mode=1777 /tmp

Plus maybe moving the file from /tmp-old/ to /tmp/... and /tmp-old can be
deleted as soon as no processes accessing it. Check with fuser/lsof.

> If users are expecting that files stick around
> in /tmp, that's huge cultural problem, and it will come back to haunt
> you in multiple ways....

Yep, I like keeping /tmp on tmpfs, which is what it says it is...

  -jf