Re: Removable media on FC5

Akop Pogosian wrote:
On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 01:10:16AM -0400, Steven Pasternak wrote:
Akop Pogosian wrote:
On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 03:47:29PM +1000, Brian Chadwick wrote:
Akop Pogosian wrote:
After putting a vanilla FC5 installation on my PC, I noticed that data
CDs are not being mounted and that audio CDs are not being
played automatically any more. What happened? I can mount the CDs
with mount command though.

-akop

have you ever installed FC5 before? ... or have you just switched from windows? ... in other words .. are you new to FC5 ?

That's the first time I installed it. It find it strange because this
"just works" on other Fedora versions.

-akop

Is this a fresh install or an upgrade from previous versions? You can try (if using gnome) to go to System>Preferences>"Removable Drives and Media" and see what is set. In KDE, a window should nag you when you add anything. Also make sure that there is no CDROM location set in the fstab. I don't know why, but the automounting seems to not work in FC5 when something is there for the CDs.
-Steven

It's a fresh install and those settings in Gnome are set to mount the CD
automatically. There is nothing for CD in /etc/fstab. /dev/cdrom and
/dev/dvd do point to the correct device files.

mounting of removeable hardware is handled by the gnome virtual stuff now .. ie. hal, gnome-mount etc ..

in addition ... there are no static mount points for the drives .. they are created dynamically when u insert a disc ... assuming all is working well...

if that is not happening for you ... yet you can mount the drives manually (which uses a different program and hardware model) ... it could point to a firmware problem with the CD drives you have .... how old and what model are your drives?