lpr changed in FC5?

For printing text files in "2 up" mode, I used to say

 print2up enscript -2r file.txt

This worked fine up until FC4.  In FC5, the left margin is cut off
(when looked at in landscape mode, so that the cut-off left margin is
that of the first of two pages on the page).  Today I thrashed around
until I found the following work-around:

 alias print2up 'mpage -2 -H -bLetter -f \!* | lpr -l'

The key parameter is '-l' to lpr.  Until I hit upon that, absolutely
nothing worked.  (I tried many options in both enscript and mpage, and
margin-related options didn't help.)

So, it appears there is some new "lpr filter" in FC5, at least for my
printer drive, which is the default drive for HP laserjet 1220.

Perhaps lpr should be smarter about recognizing preformatted pages for
printing so that it can work without the '-l' option?