Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 6:15 PM
Subject: Fedora Core 5 Installation

Hello

I have been using Red Hat Linux for a long while now, usually at University. This time I tried installing it on my Dell Inspiron 630m notebook, however, I am facing a lot of issues regarding the installation, and there is not enough helpful info to guide me. Also, I am not sure whom to contact in this case, so am writing this email to you.

The first thing I did was burn Fedora Core 5 CDs and tried installing it on my hard drive partition that I created by resizing my Windows XP Pro partition. Because I wanted to dual boot Windows and Linux, and also from the instructions in the Fedora Core 5 Installation Manual, I opted for GRUB boot loader. However, I didn't see any option of changing the boot loader or switching to LILO, which forced me to go with GRUB. I also choose not to overwrite the MBR. Windows was chosen as my default boot Operating System. After the first installation process, when my notebook rebooted, I didn't see any options of Linux OS, and my notebook was booted directly to Windows. To support dual boot, I created a FAT32 shared drive, and managed to pass the Fedora.bin boot information to Windows. I modified the boot.ini file in Windows and then when I rebooted my machine, I was able to see 2 OS options: 1. Windows 2. Linux.
However, now, when I click on Linux, GRUB loads and I am not sure what command to type into it. Also the reference materials I have looked at haven't been much help at all.

Could you please let me know what I should do next to see the Linux OS running and still maintaining the dual boot of Windows and Linux.

Thank you very much.