Re: Fedora Core 5 Installation

On 8/10/06, Yasir Shoaib <yasirshoaib@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello

I have been using Red Hat Linux for a long while now, usually at University.
This time I tried installing it on my Dell Inspiron 630m notebook, however,
I am facing a lot of issues regarding the installation, and there is not
enough helpful info to guide me. Also, I am not sure whom to contact in this
case, so am writing this email to you.

The first thing I did was burn Fedora Core 5 CDs and tried installing it on
my hard drive partition that I created by resizing my Windows XP Pro
partition. Because I wanted to dual boot Windows and Linux, and also from
the instructions in the Fedora Core 5 Installation Manual, I opted for GRUB
boot loader. However, I didn't see any option of changing the boot loader or
switching to LILO, which forced me to go with GRUB. I also choose not to
overwrite the MBR. Windows was chosen as my default boot Operating System.
After the first installation process, when my notebook rebooted, I didn't
see any options of Linux OS, and my notebook was booted directly to Windows.
To support dual boot, I created a FAT32 shared drive, and managed to pass
the Fedora.bin boot information to Windows. I modified the boot.ini file in
Windows and then when I rebooted my machine, I was able to see 2 OS options:
1. Windows 2. Linux.
However, now, when I click on Linux, GRUB loads and I am not sure what
command to type into it. Also the reference materials I have looked at
haven't been much help at all.

Could you please let me know what I should do next to see the Linux OS
running and still maintaining the dual boot of Windows and Linux.

Thank you very much.