Re: Rehashing LVM question

George Hare wrote:
When I installed F5 I thought I'd try something new and just let
Fedora do it's own thing. So it chose LVM and I just continued with
the install. Well, now I have F5 working quite nicely except that its
using 160g and I'd like to have some other distros to play with, but
nothing I read said I could shrink the volumes without losing some of
my data.I had to get stung by alot of bees before I left thier nests
alone as a kid and I guess there is still a little of that in me
today. That is how I learn best. Tell me if I've been stung and I'll
just reinstall with my own volume mgmt.

You've been stung I'm afraid. Without a spare hard drive, it's very difficult to reduce the size of a physical volume (with a spare hard drive, you can move everything off one PV to another one, remove the original PV, make a smaller one then move everything back, all whilst remaining online, but it's still a long-winded process).

It's better to start with a physical volume that's too small than one that's too big, as you can always add additional space by making an additional PV and adding it to your volume group. Going the other way is much harder.

Paul.