yum question

FC-5. A general question about yum - after yum loads its plugins, and reports that it is "Setting up repositories," it seems always to take forever to go through its little motions. I'm probably just spoiled, but I'm wondering if I've misconfigured it somehow. In my imagination at least all yum has to do is a few table lookups, and it seems to take way too long (not hours, of course, but just ... a long time). Am I alone in this?

Thanks much.