Re: FC5 Laserjet 5L share to Windows XP ?

Jack Gates wrote:
> I have the Laserjet 5L locally connected to a FC5 box.
>
> My wife insists on using Windows XP Home.  Now she wants to use my
> printer.
>
> Here is what I have done so far to figure out how to get this done.
>
> The printer is shared on my FC5 box my other FC5 box has no trouble
> finding it.  I also used SWAT and clicked on the printer
>
> Windows does not see the printer but does see my FC5 box and has no
> access to the box.  The only access I want to allow is the printer.
>
> Any one have any information that will help me get the printer
> accessible to the Windows box.

If you want to use Windows file/print sharing to use the printer,
the default Samba configuration with all the shares except the
[printers] share removed, and "guest ok = no" changed to
"guest ok = yes" should work fine.

You also have the option of using UNIX print services under Windows,
and printing directly through CUPS. This is a bit harder to set up
on the Windows side of things, but it does work.

Mikkel