Re: glibc linker problem on FC5

Dear Jakub,

Thanks for your response.

No, it was not rawhide.  I never use rawhide.

It turns out that I had inadvertently included two "testing"
repos in /etc/yum.repos.d, which turned out to have available

glibc-2.4.90
glibc-common-2.4.90
and
glibc-headers-2.4.90

which yum check-update found so I updated them.

However gcc uses glibc-devel, which still is version 2.4-8,
which does not work with the later versions listed above for
the other glibc packages.  (This was not detected by yum!)

So laboriously, using straight rpm -Uvh --oldpackage (I don't
know how to make yum install old packages), I replaced the
three listed above with 2.4-8 versions, and re-installed
gcc-4.1.1-1.fc5 (and the similar gcc-g++), and now everything
works.

Oh, of course I also deleted the "testing" repos from
/etc/yum.repos.d, a lesson for the day.

    -- Peter