Re: sharing a partition betweed FC3 and FC5

At 11:22 AM -0400 8/6/06, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>| From: Andy Burns <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>| D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>|
>| > The problem is that the FC5 installation did something to
>| > the /home partition that prevents the FC3 from mounting it.
>|
>| Does this help?
>| http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc5/#id2963134
>
>This particulare FAQ entry doesn't seem to match my experience.
>
>We can log in with FC5.  So it must have relabelled /home.
>
>On the other hand, FC3 can no longer mount /home.  It isn't just a
>problem of preventing users from logging in.  In fact, users can still
>log in, with the limitation that they have no home directory.
>
>Maybe I can relabel /home in FC3.  That *might* let FC3 mount /home
>(I'm not sure -- I don't actually understand the error message).  If
>it does, surely FC5 will no longer like /home.

I expect so.  Relabeling each time would be slow.

Try booting FC3 with "enforcing=0" appended to the kernel command line.  If
that works, then you have established that it is an SELinux issue.

If it is an SELinux issue, I think you will need to either not use SELinux
on one of the installations, or use the same SELinux and SELinux Policy in
both.  That would probably require using the same kernel in both (but what
do I know?).

Even if you do manage to share /home, you might also face issues with the
shared .configuration files.  You might wish to share something lower down
inside each user's account.  I have not faced this issue yet myself; I just
have two copies of everything.  This works because I don't use FC3 anymore;
I'll blow it away soon for FC6.