Re: Not the usual installation media check failures

Tim:
>> On that note, why do people smear their fingers all over the optical
>> surface of discs?  Or scuff them about on the desk?
>>
>> Discs are not as robust as some people think, and they come with
>> warnings on the labels to treat them with care.  Writable discs seem
>> even more susceptible to finger prints than pressed discs.  And you
>> can't always clean off what you do to them.  Leave muck on it long
>> enough, and it can chemically react.
>>
>> If people abuse their media, they deserve to have problems.

Eric Donkersloot:
> Thank you for the lecture, very useful indeed.

While I'm sure you're being sarcastic, I wasn't.  Some don't care, some
have no clue.

I'm frequently asked to resurrect someone's PC, but they've buggered the
install discs up beyond any use.  Some look like they've been used as
the skids on a toboggan, and gone gone skating down a sand dune on them.
Other's have finger prints all over them.  Not just a mark around the
edge where someone's had a bit of a trouble picking up a disc, they've
smeared their fingers all over them with no care.  And I've seen some
damage to discs that I just can't figure out how they've done it.

In all seriousness, if you don't look after important media, well you
deserve losing it.

I read messages from the public lists.