Re: broadcom radio off in dmesg

Jerry W. Whitmire wrote:

If i post my dmesg could some one look it over
and let me know how to get my droadcom wireless
card to turn on? It is setup as eth1.
thanks

Did you ever get an answer on this? On my HP Pavilion laptop there seems to be two different levels of "off". One is soft and corresponds to just not loading an appropriate driver such as ndiswrapper or bcm43xx. The other is hard and I found this out the hard way. When I first got the laptop I didn't have any wireless APs so, while it was up in Windows, I used the keyboard wireless button on the beasty to turn off the capability. Big mistake. I very soon loaded Fedora (FC4 Test 3) and then found out there were some useful APs about so I set about getting wireless working. Turned out that the only way to turn the radio back on was to boot to Windoze and toggle it back on from the switch. Since I had zapped windoze completely, this meant a full re-install of windoze which I did when FC4 final was released and I need to upgrade from T3 to the production release. I ended up giving Windoze 10GB of my hard disk and setting up dual boot just in case there were other things that I needed to get to. Not all that unexpectedly, BIOS updates required booting to Windoze.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce