Re: "/var/www/html" permission question

Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> Thanks for all the suggestions but I am bit confused here. May be I
> should have asked the question in different way. In general what I
> wanted to know is, how the root will give permission to group of web
> developers (supposing PHP developers) in "/var/www/html" directory so
> that they can read/write/modify the contents. In formal words, what is
> the best practices for this? Do web developers do their jobs in other
> machine than the one which is hosting web, then root will pour the
> content after the job is finished???
>
> I am asking this because it is possible to directly edit the web
> contents in windows machines (supposing using IIS, dreamweaver).
>
> In linux I guess the question is more on the ownership of ceratin
> directory (who own what and how secure when its live in the web??)

The best practice would be for web developers to do their development on
another machine (or in a different virtual host / directory on the same
machine).  When code is ready to be released, it's "published" from the
test system to the live system.  It would be a good idea to  throw
something like subversion into the mix for source code control.

In this scenario, all users of your web developer group have read/write
access to the test area, but only a few people have rights to write into
the live system's web directory tree.

--

  Steve