Re: hplip and Fedora Core 5

Frank Cox wrote:
> I just purchased a new computer to replace my main desktop machine.  I have a
> HP Laserjet 2550L printer on this machine.
>
> I had this printer hooked to my old machine with a parallel cable and set it up
> using the CUPS web interface and it worked fine.  However, as it is my
> understanding that the hplip driver is better (because it can report toner
> levels and do the cleaning routine and so on) and because hplip apparently
> works only through USB on this printer, I hooked it up with a USB cable this
> time instead of a parallel cable.
>
> My problem is that while this computer can apparently find the printer, it
> doesn't actually print.  I'm sure this is because I am approaching this in the
> wrong way.
>
> I run the Printer Configuration Tool and when I select "locally connected" I
> get two choices, /dev/lp0 (which I assume is the parallel port and I'm not
> using that) and hp:/usb/hp_color_LaserJet_2550_Series
>
> I select the hp:/usb/hp_color_Laserjet_2550_Series option and, on the Printer
> Driver tab I select Color LaserJet 2550.  I have tried both Postscript and
> hpijs under the "Available drivers:" drop-down box.
>
> I print a test page and nothing happens.  The job shows up if I enter lpq at
> the commandline, but the job is never printed.
>
> I'm pretty sure that I'm missing a step.  What am I doing wrong?

Some things to check/try.

1.  Did you run hp-setup to set up your printer?  I've found that works
quite well.

2.  Is the hplip service running?

3.  Have your restarted cupsd after configuration?  I've found that
restarting cupsd after starting hplip can clear things up.

--
FEELINGS are cascading over me!!!