Re: Chinese input on English locale

Stephen Liu writes:

Hi folks,

FC5 32bit
KDE desktop

I can toggle Chinese/English input with Ctrl+Space and select input
method with Shift+Ctrl.  But no Chinese input functions only English
character on typing.  Chinese can be read on English locale.  Please
advise whether I need to install additional Chinese fonts.  TIA

It looks like that the only non-default package on my FC4 laptop, where Chinese input works, is "fonts-chinese". I have a bunch of other font packages, but they do not appear to be related.

I also have the following packages installed:

iiimf-le-hangul-12.2-4.fc4.2
iiimf-gtk-12.2-4.fc4.2
iiimf-libs-12.2-4.fc4.2
iiimf-docs-12.2-4.fc4.2
iiimf-le-unit-12.2-4.fc4.2
iiimf-le-chinput-0.3-19
iiimf-le-xcin-0.1.10-1
iiimf-le-canna-12.2-4.fc4.2
iiimf-libs-devel-12.2-4.fc4.2
iiimf-server-12.2-4.fc4.2
iiimf-x-12.2-4.fc4.2

To use Chinese input I must set LC_CTYPE and GTK_IM_MODULE. Something like this:

LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8 GTK_IM_MODULE=iiim thunderbird