Re: FC5 Firefox and KMail

Jack Gates wrote:
On Friday 04 August 2006 19:15, Nigel Henry wrote:
You lost me with the Main menu.  What application?
Click on the Redhat icon on the panel (taskbar), then select
preferences, then preferred applications. The preferred
applications window gives you 4 choices. Webbrowser, Mail Reader,
Text Editor, and Terminal. You can just change the Mail Reader to
Kmail, and Firefox should now use Kmail rather than than Evolution
as default.

This appears to be working ok. Firefox > Tools > Read mail,
opens up Kmail,
I get no response, no errors
Thats weird. You don't get any email client opening?

and going to a website and finding an E-mail link opens
up Kmails composer ok.
nothing here as well

Which FC version are you using?

Not trying to be rude but you did not look real close at the subject line. FC5

Your instructions above are of no value for FC5

I remember those settings from FC2, the configuration in FC5 is way different. I am still trying to figure out where things are and what is not here any more and what is new that works better. Things changed a lot from FC2 to FC5. I was real comfortable with FC2 because I used it for two years. I made the change from FC2 to FC5 in one leap skipping over using FC3 and FC4. I did an upgrade install in about 4 hours from FC2, FC3, FC4, FC5, this was the only way I could get the upgrade install to work.

Nigel.

I'm using Gnome on FC5. I have three selection in the task bar at the lower left corner with the Fedora logo. They are, "Applications", "Places" and "System". Select "System" and in the pull up menu select "Preferences". then "More Preferences" then "Preferred Applications"

The applet that comes up has two tabs, one for "Internet" and one for "System". You want "Internet". At the bottom is a category called "Mail Reader" with a selector. Set it to "Custom" and below that enter the path to Kmail. I use thunderbird and I have it set as follows.
thunderbird -mail %s

I don't know if you will need and option on the command (like -mail) but %s is the substitution for the string passed to the program representing the address to use. You'll have to investigate the CLI for Kmail. You may have to use the full path to Kmail if it is not in your default PATH variable.

HTH

--
--R
/Linux, and Open Software, an alternative./