Re: Broadcom 4319

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello List, Has anyone got a Broadcom 4319 wireless card working in FC4 or FC5 with ndiswrapper? If not, does anyone have links to howtos or something of that sort? I'm mostly interested in finding out how well, if it all, the card works in Fedora. Thanks in advance for any help. Regards, Ranbir

I ended up continuing to use ndiswrapper. I was only able to get the bcm43xx module to work if I opened up my AP. With ndiswrapper, I'm able to continue to use WEP for authentication (WAP is a future project) and do MAC address filtering. I haven't retried bcm43xx for a couple of kernel builds but this was still the state the last time I tried it.

If you have your own AP and need it to be secure, ndiswrapper appears to be the way to go. If you just need to connect to open APs, bcm43xx is open source except for the firmware and is always "in sync" with the current kernel. With ndiswrapper, you either need to get the module from someplace like the livna repository that rebuilds it each time the kernel is updated or rebuild it yourself. I hope the folks doing the bcm43xx module get the WEP problem fixed since I think this is a far cleaner solution as compared to ndiswrapper.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce