Re: New in FC5 since a few days - some questions about Gnome

> >> 2) I'd like to edit the gnome panel in order to remove a entry that
> >> hangs from System (or Desktop, the third one place in the main menu),
> >> called "Suspend". There are reasons for that, it is not an empty "bright
> >> idea"... I'm sure this is not in the /usr/share/applications/*.desktop
> >> path, but I have no idea where could hide now Gnome (or Fedora) those
> >> files. Before, at some earlier versions they were placed into some more
> >> or less known paths, but now who knows.., anyone knows, please?
>
> 	I'm not sure what you mean here.  Do you want to remove a menu entry?
> If so right click on the the menu area and select "edit menus" you will
> be able to remove menu items by un-checking the item.

> Scott

I mean to remove the "Suspend" item that appears in my laptop
installation placed rightly in the "Desktop" (or "System") tree, almost
at the bottom:
		Applications	Places	Desktop

					   ->
					   ->
					   -> Suspend
					   -> Shutdown

I've uploaded some screenshots to a box.net account, maybe it would be
better to look at here: http://www.box.net/public/g0voavyzi3
(it's the fourth or fifth...)

BTW, those kind of items do not "accept" right-clicking, at least on my
own experience here..., right-click leads to the same result as if you
were left-clicked, there is no intermediate step.

Actually I don't know which package that "thing" belongs to, first I
thought it was to gnome-power-manager, but I am almost sure it has
nothing to do, then I suspected it was to do with some "software
suspend" rpm, but I haven't been able to determine to which one exactly,
since my yum repos are Extras and Livna pointing to, and into those
places there is nothing called swsusp, suspend2, ...
In the last days, I've been performing another FC5 install in parallel,
this one I'm talking about refers to my laptop, the another one is to my
desktop PC. In the second one this event doesn't happen, then the origin
"problem" must be the difference in the package selection I chose
previously.
All in all, IMO that "thing" doesn't make much sense in my laptop,
mainly for two reasons:
	* First, it doesn't work. It doesn't wake up the computer after
suspend, it seems a graphical problem, the screen remains "blank". But
honestly I didn't care it too much, since the hacks of www.thinkwiki.org
use to work without much effort (this is a Thinkpad) -I have "suspend to
ram" as I did in FC4, they were exactly the same tricks.
	* Second, who is supposed to need a "Suspend" button there when just
one item down is the "Shutdown" botton, which spreads four options when
clicking, one of them is precisely "suspend" too? (Maybe this one would
be "suspend to disk" or viceversa?)

Thanks for your help

Daniel

P.S. Sorry for my English, I don't control it as much as I'd like...;
it's often a bit difficult to me to find appropriate words when having
to give a some kind of detailed explanation and more when what you are
here is just a common computer user.