Re: SATA & Software RAID and SATA issues.

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 16:03 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mike Cisar wrote:
> > Have tried to do a test install of FC5 on a system.  The system has 3 SATA
> > hard drives which I set up as software RAID 1 (2 drives, 1 spare).  The
> > drives show up in linux as SDA, SDB, SDC.
> >
> > Everything went fine so I shut down the system and pulled out the second
> > drive (SDB) to test the RAID, assuming that it would failover to the spare
> > 3rd drive (SDC).   No such luck however, when I reboot and check the raid
> > status it is showing only SDA in the array, SDB is missing (expectedly) and
> > SDC is missing too.
> >
> > Took a look and see that with the 2nd drive pulled, the 3rd drive is showing
> > up as SDB now instead of SDC (which I think explains why the RAID didn't
> > failover).
> >
> > Question is... how can I make the 3rd drive always show up as SDC?  Even in
> > a non-raid scenario I can see that removing one of your drives and having
> > the others reshuffle their drive "letters" would be a bad thing :-)
> >
> > Any suggestions appreciated.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> This has always been a problem with SCSI drives. For non-raid
> setups, you can use volume labels or logical volume groups to get
> around this. You can also use udev to create rules for specific
> drives. I am not sure if you can do something like this for a RAID
> array. (I do not have much experience with RAID.)
>
> Mikkel

Mikkel, My brand new machine has SATA drives. The DVD+RW is the first or
sda. The harddrive is sdb. Right, we're good so far? Well, somehow
someone has decided that my DVD is now /dev/hda and everything kinda
goes to Hell, having to kick the apps, like xine, in the slats to get it
to do /dev/sda and then does everything work as initially installed.
Totem and mplayer just go tits up.

First issue: WTF! If yum installed something that's jacking my drive
device setup, someone please find out who and stuff them in a locker.
It's all worked just dandy until the last month or so.

Second issue: It would be better to redefine my hardware setup when the
G D SYSTEM IS FRESHLY INSTALLED! Not after. <pants heavily> F with my
setup when I install FC6. That would be appropriate. Not while it's a
running machine.

Third issue: I didn't dink with my hardware, who or what did? I think
it's aggressive, not properly assertive, to just go and do a thing
because you can. Some compromise, like telling me and others about it,
would have been better.

How do I fix this? I want it back like it was. It worked, and I kinda
like it that way for some reason that escapes me for the heat of the
moment, when I tried to just watch a Flash Gordon DvD while working on
my website.  It was the last straw to an already bad enough day. I
apologize for venting. No I don't, I take that back. I'm venting. Ric

root@iam media]# df
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                     190799356  10316532 170634404   6% /
/dev/sda1               101086     22760     73107  24% /boot
tmpfs                  1037884         0   1037884   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda               3810768   3810768         0
100% /media/FLASH_GORDON
[root@iam media]#

How does boot get on /dev/sda1??? When it is a DvD device with no
partition? /dev/sdb is my harddrive. It has partitions. Is there some
sort of relocation going on with VolGroup? I really miss the pre-udev
days.
...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256