Tomcat Help

I am able to compile a java mapscript file from the command line using:

javac -classpath ./mapscript.jar MapServerTest.java

But when i try to turn my code into a servelt and run it over Tomcat i keep getting:

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no mapscript in java.library.path

I have tried adding: export CLASSPATH=./mapscript.jar
to my ./tomcat5/bin/startup.sh file but that does not seem to help.  Am i missing a setting somewhere, why cant Tomcat find the .jar file?  I have it in the same directory as my .java file and also in /common/lib and /shared/lib

Thank you for any help that you can provide