Hal puzzlement

On one of my FC4 boxes I see hal being started during bootup, yet elsewhere (I
don't recall where) I get a message that hal is not supported on this system.
Presumably something is wrong which explains why removable media does not get
mounted automatically.  My two other FC4 boxes have no problems whatsoever
with this.

Can anyone suggest a plan for troubleshooting this?

Anne