Re: cpu frequencies

On 8/3/06, Tobias Bocanegra <tobias.bocanegra@xxxxxxx> wrote:
hi,
i have a intel dual core t2700 with 2.16ghz.

vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 14
model name      : Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2600  @ 2.16GHz
stepping        : 8

the files in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq say:
affected_cpus:0
cpuinfo_cur_freq:1667000
cpuinfo_max_freq:2167000
cpuinfo_min_freq:1000000
scaling_available_frequencies:2167000 1667000 1333000 1000000
scaling_available_governors:userspace performance
scaling_cur_freq:1667000
scaling_driver:centrino
scaling_governor:userspace
scaling_max_freq:1667000
scaling_min_freq:1667000
scaling_setspeed:1667000

now, i try to set 2.17 ghz, but it always stays at 1.7:

echo 2167000 > scaling_setspeed
# cat cpuinfo_cur_freq
1667000

i tried every possible combination, and also other cpu frequency tools
like cpufreqd and cpufreq-set

funny enough, it worked suddenly once 2 days ago...but i can't figure
out what was different. i guess, it's either some chipset-internal
regulation, or some cpu daemon running.
http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/2/3/219
has anyone some advice?
regards, toby

Hi Toby!

A couple of things occure to me:

1. CMOS - I believe must be set to allow other software to change the frequency.

2. Any choices of CPU frequeny must "scale" with the Front Side Bus frequencies chosen.  I believe this would be in your Motherboard Documentation and would involve your choice of memory and capabilities of your PCI cards etc...

3. I would guess (this is a guess) that the "userspace performance" written as the scaling_available_governers with the "scaling_governor:userspace" as mentioned above may have a lot to do with the frequencies below it and the ability to set a high speed.  I am not sure how CMOS and the controlling variables talk.

I do believe that a log Google session starting with the first "scaling" line above would lead you to an answer.  Hopefully those more experianced and knowledgeable will respond before Google dies of overuse.

Good Hunting!

Tod