Re: Hardware Compatibility

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 03:05:34PM -0500, Arun Binaykia wrote:
> > You could also patch the module and build a driver disk for FC4 or FC5.
> > I'm not sure this is worth it, though -- right now, there's something
> > like 2.2GB of FC4 updates, so a new install of FC4 + updates may
> > actually take _more_ bandwidth than just starting new with FC6t2.
> If I have to get updates for OS to keep it running, might as well run
> windows. I have FC 3 running on production machines, no updates, with
> uptime over a year.

And as long as the machine only has trusted user accounts and extremely
limited network exposure, that's probably okay.

> > It's always such a pain -- there's been a lot of efforts at making various
> > databases of compatibility, but they always fall short. Too much hardware,
> > too much rapid change. I like to buy from a vendor who will offer Linux
> > preinstalled, even if it's not the version I plan on running.
> I'd rather do it myself, get better deals this way.

And it's fun; I understand. :)

> > In this particular case, I found the answer above in about 15 seconds of
> > googling.
> Mind sharing the keywords.

I forget exactly. First I searched for the motherboard you gave, and then
for the controller model + linux + sata. That led me to a page saying that
there were patches available. (That was the 15 seconds.) Armed with that, I
looked in the kernel git tree at the logs for those files (something that
turns out to be pretty easy to do) and found the specific patch.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>