Re: Process memory question.

On 8/2/06, Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dan Track wrote:
> Hi
>
> Could someone please help me find a way to find out how much memory a
> process is using, my question relates specifically to the analog
> running wild on my server.

top

and then press

Shift-M

will give some idea.

You can get a buttload of good info on a particular process from its
Process ID number.  Eg, for PID 18053

cat /proc/18053/status

Name:   ekiga
State:  S (sleeping)
SleepAVG:       97%
Tgid:   18053
Pid:    18053
PPid:   3249
TracerPid:      0
Uid:    500     500     500     500
Gid:    500     500     500     500
FDSize: 256
Groups: 14 500
VmPeak:   118920 kB
VmSize:   118432 kB
VmLck:         0 kB
VmHWM:     23592 kB
VmRSS:     23292 kB
VmData:    18504 kB
VmStk:        84 kB
VmExe:       900 kB
VmLib:     35996 kB
VmPTE:       220 kB
StaBrk: 081a2000 kB
Brk:    09571000 kB
StaStk: bfe32e20 kB
Threads:        10
SigQ:   0/20329
SigPnd: 0000000000000000
ShdPnd: 0000000000000000
SigBlk: 0000000000000000
SigIgn: 0000000000000000
SigCgt: 000000018c005ef3
CapInh: 0000000000000000
CapPrm: 0000000000000000
CapEff: 0000000000000000
Cpus_allowed:   ffffffff
Mems_allowed:   1

For all these though, understand that shared libs get counted for every
process, exploding the total figures given for all processes compared to
actual global memory usage.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. It helps a lot. Is there a way to remove
references to the shared libs? Actually as an additional point
wouldn't we need to include the shared libs in the memory calculation
as they are being used by the process, or is my understanding lacking?

Thanks
Dan