Re: Removing package and its dependencies

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 14:01 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:

> > > Thanks, Rahul.
> > >
> > > # package-cleanup --leaves
> > >
> > > only gives a list of packages, and, therefore, it seems that I have to
> > > use 'yum remove' to remove them. Is there some way of automatically
> > > feeding that list into the 'yum remove' command?
> > >
> > did you try man on package-cleanup?
> >
> > It tells me:
> > DESCRIPTION
> >        package-cleanup  is  a  program  for  cleaning up the
> > locally-installed RPMs.
>
> Sure, I did, but
>
> package-cleanup --leaves mediawiki
>
> did not remove mediawiki.

if you want that list fed to 'yum remove' this would work

  yum remove `package-cleanup --leaves mediawiki`

I had to look at the output and test it to be sure.

However, look carefully at the list it proposes.  When I tried it I did
not get _only_ the packages that were required for my test package, but
also got a full list of all the leaves in the package tree -- including
yum and a lot of libraries.  It seems the output of the --leaves option
is not limited to the branch with the package you specify.

Needless to say I did not do the uninstall.