Re: Syslog setup server on FC5?[Scanned]

Phil Meyer <pmeyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Chris Bradford wrote:
Hi guys,

I am trying to figure our how to setup syslog-ng on FC5 and not having much luck. I have installed syslog-ng using yum.

I am trying to log from two HP 5308xl switches. The logging facility on these switches is 'user' but this can be changed.

I have opened up UDP port 514 on my firewall and enables the syslog-ng service, but I think I am missing something in the configuration.
Isn't it just a matter of editing /etc/sysconfig/syslog and adding -r to the options?

I'm only familiar with syslog but there are typically four steps to setting up a remote logging facility:

1) On the device that you want to have remotely log you need to tell it about the server that will be doing the logging. This usually means setting the host and the logging facility (numeric) to use.

2) On the server that will be doing the logging, edit syslog.conf and add an entry that maps logging data received on the above numeric facility to a log file. If you chose facility 5 this will look something like:

local5.*                                                /var/log/switch.log

3) Also on the server, you need to enable remote logging in /etc/sysconfig/syslog. See the posting I'm responding to, above.

4) Restart the syslog service on the server.

-- Ambrose Bierce