Re: SELinux in the way of automated rsync

Paul Howarth wrote:
J.L. Coenders wrote:

Hi,
I am trying to automate a backup with rsync to a second disc using a cronjob. I am running fc5. The script works fine when I run it manually, but if I try to run it as a cronjob it fails with a lot of rsync errors. When looking at the system logs, I suspect that SELinux is blocking rsync. How do I correct this?

Messages are like this:

Aug 1 09:09:43 localhost kernel: audit(1154416183.900:651): avc: denied { search } for pid=19905 comm="rsync" name="/" dev=sda1 ino=2 scontext=system_u:system_r:rsync_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:object_r:default_t:s0 tclass=dir

That may be a labelling problem on your system.

Could anyone show me to some easy to understand explanation of SELinux? So far I only find quite complex ones.

SELinux isn't simple, so you're unlikely to find a simple explanation for it.

What is the top-level directory you are trying to copy using rsync?

Paul.

With a cron job, you may not have the same PATH as being logged in. Also your start directory will be different. These may be affecting the whole process. Just something to think about.

--
Robin Laing