Re: Apple wireless BT keyboard: how to enable those special keys?

On Sun, 2006-07-30 at 23:04 +0200, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Sunday 30 July 2006 19:56, Jurgen Kramer wrote:
> > The Apple bluetooth keyboard works just beautifully with Fedora and the
> > hidd daemon. Most keys work but unfortunately some of the special keys
> > don't even seem to emit a key code (tested with xev).
>
> I don't know if xev tests the keyboard correctly, but my recommendation is
> showkey. First, exit X (i guess you should do a 'telinit 3'...), login to a
> terminal, and type 'showkey -s'.

Thanks, I forgot about showkey.

> Afer that, any key you press (or release) on the keyboard should be
> identified, as seen by the kernel. If your keys do not work here, they are
> not seen by the kernel, and there might be problems enabling them.
> If they work, what you see are their scancodes.
>
> The program ends itself automatically ten seconds after the last keyrelease,
> and gives you back the control of the keyboard... :-)
>
> Then start 'showkey', without any options. Test again. If the keys work, each
> key is assigned the keycode, printed on the screen. If not, then the key is
> not assigned the keycode, and you need to configure it.

Unfortunately the extra multimedia keys do not emit a keycode :(

> > Any idea how can I enable those extra keys?
>
> I recommend reading the docs, namely:
>
> man showkey, man setkeycodes, man keymaps, man loadkeys, man dumpkeys,
> etc. :-)

Hmm, setkeycodes and friends only seem to work the the keys acctually
produce a keycode...

> How to enable them in X is another story, and how to assign to them functions
> such as "open xmms, start playing the song, turn off shuffle, and feed my pet
> dog" is yet another story. ;-)
>
> Best regards, :-)

That is the easy part ;-)...back to the driver.

Thanks!