Re: C Programming

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 10:17:01PM -0400, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> Invest in a copy of "C How To Program" by Deitel and Deitel, ISBN
> #0-13-226119-7.  It is the best choice for beginning programmers.

Wow, I could not disagree more. Despite its widespread use as a textbook,
I feel that this is one of the poorer choices. My major complaint is that
it's full of forward references -- it constantly says "don't worry how this
works -- we'll get to that later". And to add insult to that, when you get
to later, it often says "as you learned before", refering back in a circle
to the part which explained nothing! Plus, where there are explanations,
they're often obtuse and needlessly confusing.

(This goes *triple* for "C++ How TO Program".)

Additionally, since it's a textbook, it comes with the ridiculous price of
$80 or more.

Perhaps you had a really good teacher in a class which used this as a text?
That could really make up for the problems.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>