Anti-Novell press briefing may not play well with Xensource

''
Xen not ready for prime-time, says Red Hat

By Renai LeMay, ZDNet Australia
31 July 2006 06:04 PM

A senior Red Hat executive today maintained the Xen open source virtualisation environment was not yet ready for enterprise use, despite "unbelievable" customer demand and the fact rival Novell has already started shipping the software.

Xen, which is primarily being developed by US-based startup XenSource, allows users to run multiple operating systems as guest virtual machines on the same hardware, potentially allowing for greater utilisation of resources.

But while rival Novell this month started shipping the software with version 10 of its SUSE Linux Enterprise Server environment, Red Hat continues to have a lack of confidence in the virtualisation newcomer.

"XenSource is not stable yet, it's not ready for the enterprise," Red Hat's vice president of International Operations, Alex Pinchev, told ZDNet Australia today via telephone.

"We don't feel that XenSource is stable enough to address banking, telco, or any other enterprise customer, so until we are comfortable, we will not release it."

Taking the customer viewpoint, he said: "If the National Australia Bank wants to implement virtualisation and it's not stable, you can imagine what they will tell us."

Instead of trying to play catch up with Novell and simply shipping Xen as included software with Red Hat's operating system, Red Hat will attempt to build a full virtualisation platform around the product in the next version of its Red Hat Enterprise Linux server software, due to be released in December.

...''

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Xen_not_ready_for_prime_time_says_Red_Hat/0,2000061733,39265136,00.htm