Re: Dynamic DNS and failed journal

Brian Chadwick wrote:
Thanks for your comment Paul

The thing is, when bind chroots, it should have writeable access to its own /var/named, which as far as the host is concerned, is actually /var/named/chroot/var/named.

Why should it have write access there? It doesn't by default, and doesn't normally need it (remember that bind is running as user named, not as root).

its needs to know where to load its zone information from, ie. /var/named, then chroots.

No, it chroots first. So you should put your DDNS zone file in /var/named/chroot/var/named/slaves (I expect you have a symlink /var/named/slaves -> /var/named/chroot/var/named/slaves btw).

I cant see how that should be a problem for bind to write to its own /var/named directory. Anyway I tried it, and changed options directory /var/named to /var/named/slaves .... naturally, bind couldnt find zone information ...

Don't change the main directory in the options clause, change the file location for your DDNS zone in its zone clause.

So you have something like:

zone "example.com" IN {
	file "slaves/example.com";
};