evolution, kill me now

Here I sit, using firefox to access my gmail account directly because evolution in the last couple of weeks has been misbehaving sending mail. It's retrieving like a charm but will not send. I'd edited the darn send part until I turn blue in the face. Is anyone else having this problem? Did some yum update blow it up? Something is surely amiss as everything is configured the way gmail sez set it and nothing has changed, that I am aware of, for it to blow up.  If anyone has a hint, I could sure use it. Ric