RE: Asus A8V NIC issues

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 13:21 -0500, Matt wrote:
> It may be a SAMBA thing.  I have looked into that and have not been
> able to make any improvements.
> SFTP works a little better.  With SFTP I transferred 6.3GB in 5min
> which is 140Mbit/s.  Not close to what IPERF says my LAN speed is
> capable of.  I will try another switch this week.

Don't forget to take into account your disc drive speeds.  They may be
the slowest part in the equation.

Also, if you do something like use Nautilus to copy files, having the
destination window showing the directory filling up slows things down a
hell of a lot.  I find changing it to show something else once the
transfer has started makes a HUGE difference (on FC4, at least).  Look
at the output of the top command during a file transfer, and you'll see
some processes eating lots of CPU, particularly the fam one.

I read messages from the public lists.