Re: C Programming

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > The above is a good reference book but not one for learning to program in C.
> >
> > On the contrary -- it's written in clear, simple language without much
> > distraction, and explains the C language better than any other book I've
> > seen.
> Look this is silly. The book mentioned above is the definitive reference
> book on C but it is not a book from which to learn to program in C.
>
> Try learning to program in Python from the Python Language Reference
> Manual.

People have different backgrounds and learning styles. I personally found
"The C Programming Language" to be great for learning C (way back in
1984...). A decade later I found "Programming Perl" (another 'reference')
to be far better for me than "Learning Perl" after trying both.

For someone who already knows how to program well in multiple languages
the verbose hand-holding of most 'Learning X' books may not be only
unnesssary but an active impediment to rapid acquisition of the language:
I just want a fast overview with a few examples to let me wrap my head
around the language's structure and paradigms and then the available
syntax, functions and libraries.

You may find 'Learning X' books better than a reference book for a
language - but the converse can be true for other people.

--
Benjamin Franz

"It is moronic to predict without first establishing an error rate
 for a prediction and keeping track of one’s past record of accuracy."
                    -- Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Fooled By Randomness