Re: Can not change screen resolution (Fedora 5, gnome)

On Friday 28 July 2006 22:11, Kam Leo wrote:
> On 7/28/06, Haluk Tunali <haluk.fedora@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It seems like I am not able to change my x server screen resolution from
> > the default to anything higher than that (I want 1280x1024 with (16 or
> > 24 bit color depth). I have just freshly installed fedora 5 and running
> > gnome window manager. I have tried changing the resolution with
> > System->Administration->Display (the resolution and color depth options
> > that I want, are listed in the drop-down box), it prompts me to
> > logoff-logon, I exit the x server and start x again and see the same
> > resolution (same with restart). I also tried editing xorg.conf file
> > myself with no luck.
> >
> > My xorg.conf file content is below. Fedora seems to recognize my monitor
> > and graphics card correctly (at least their names are correct in
> > xorg.conf).
> >
> > I will greatly appreciate any help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > # Xorg configuration created by system-config-display
> >
> > Section "ServerLayout"
> >         Identifier     "single head configuration"
> >         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
> >         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> >         InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Files"
> >
> > # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
> > # By default, a font server independent of the X server is
> > # used to render fonts.
> >         FontPath     "unix/:7100"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Module"
> >         Load  "dbe"
> >         Load  "extmod"
> >         Load  "fbdevhw"
> >         Load  "glx"
> >         Load  "record"
> >         Load  "freetype"
> >         Load  "type1"
> >         Load  "dri"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >
> > # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
> > #       Option  "Xleds"         "1 2 3"
> > # To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
> > #       Option  "XkbDisable"
> > # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
> > # lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
> > # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
> > #       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc102"
> > # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
> > #       Option  "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
> > #
> > # Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
> > # For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
> > #       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
> > # or:
> > #       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
> > #       Option  "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
> > #
> > # If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
> > # control keys, use:
> > #       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
> [...]

I looked up your monitor, and its native resolution is 1280 x 1024.  So, you
need another section as mentioned in option 1 as Kam Leo specifies, but you
also need another resolution level in that new section.  Here's that section:

        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
               Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection