Re: software raid drive failed, please provide step bu step to rebuild

On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 16:29 -0500, Dan Carl wrote:
> I have/had a software raid running and sdc drive failed.
> I got a replacement drive today and installed it.
> My only experience with set partitions and raids in during initail setup.
> I could not fdisk the new drive because i guess it wasn't reconized so I
> rebooted.
> Now I can reach the drive via fdisk but I have made more problems now (no
> swap now)
> and I'm not sure the steps to rebuild.
> Background:
> I have a FC3 with a software raid.
> I have 3 SCSI 18gb hard drives
> If I recall this how I set it up
> md0 /boot 100MB raid 1 sda, sdb and sdc as spare
> md1 /swp 768MB raid 0 sda, sdb, sdc
This toasted your /swp partition.
Raid 0 is striping, and a single failure toasts the entire device.

You would have been ahead with a non-raid swap, and had 3 separate
partitions, one on each device, for swap.  Failure of one would not have
toasted all.