Re: udev: BUG: spinlock bad magic on CPU#0, udevd/447 (Tainted:P )

--- John Wendel <john.wendel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > Dear List Users,
> >
> >    I have successfully installed Fedora 5 on a
> > shuttleX machine, AMD 2700 XP processor.  I
> updated to
> > kernel-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 and everything was
> working
> > beautifully and then all of a sudden the machine
> > froze.  Could not CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE, could not
> > shutdown.  I was surfing the net and this
> happened.  I
> > decided to reset.  When I reset the machine it
> gave me
> > the message
> >
> > Starting
> >   udev:  BUG: spinlock bad magic on CPU#0,
> udevd/447
> > (Tainted:P    )
> >  lock: c06e07d4, .magic: c06eo7d4, .owner:{weird
> > symbol goes here} ...
> >   Bug: spinlock lockup on CPU#0, udev/447 cobeo7d4
> > (Tainted:  P).
> >
> > It stayed there leaving me no choice but to press
> and
> > hold the power button till it shutdown.  I let it
> stay
> > off for a little and I turned it back on and it
> let me
> > through with no error message as the previous one.
> >
> > What does this error mean?
> >
> > Is the CPU dying little by little?
> >
> > Thanks for your valuable time,
> >
> > Antonio
>
> Your hardware is probably just fine. You've been
> bitten by a bad
> kernel version or bad video driver. Are you running
> ATI driver?

No, it has via 8237 integrated video card.  Another
machine I have has ATI Radeon 7000 and it is working
fine.

> For your system (I have same one here), I'd build a
> plain vanilla,
> single CPU kernel with the tarball from kernel.org
> (2.6.17.7). Mine is
> rock solid with this version.
>
> Just my 2 cents worth.
>
> John
>

> --

I'll cross my fingers and hope that this does not
happen.  If it happens, I'll follow your advice and
get a vanilla kernel.

Thanks,

Antonio