squid and dns lookups

Everyone,

Is there a way to turn off dns lookups for local network queries?

We have one of our PC's set up as an internal (local network) web
server.  The PC is listed in each of the other linux machines /etc/hosts
file with a local network ip address.  When squid is turned off it is
easy for the network PC's to access the internal web pages by putting in
the name of the server in the address bar.  When squid is turned on each
user gets the message that it can not be found.

Since the machine functioning as the apache server is inside the local
network it is not listed in the dns servers.  When squid is function the
query fails.  Is there a way to put an entry in the squid.conf file so
that named queries can point back to the local network even though a dns
record does not exist?

Thanks,

Greg Ennis